The foundation of Kera Eleousa Monastery dates back to the late 16th century. There are written testimonials of the 17th century, where there is a reference to the monastery. These testimonials include the dowry agreement of Marcus Anthony Foskolos (1662), a Turkish contract with A.H. (Hijri year) 1081 (1670 AD), the will of Andreas Kornaros (1611), as well as an inscription with the date 1617, recorded by G.Gerola, which was once above the south entrance and now has been stolen. It is not known when Kera Eleousa Monastery became a rectory manor of Agarathos, but most probably it was during the Cretan War Period. The buildings were constructed around a yard and, along with the turrets and the small gaps, they point out the fort-like style of the monastery.
As it is built on a small hill, it follows the topography and forms three levels. On the lowest level of the north side, there is the monumental gate with the finial (late 16th century) that leads to the first level, where the stables used to be (early 17th century). On the second level, there is the barrel vaulted chapel of Zoodochos Pigi (Life-giving Spring), the bell tower of which dates back to the 17th century. On the church floor, two tombs were found and on the arch there is a large supporting arc. The upper part of the iconostasis is woodcut, gold-plated and decorated with medallions of the Apostles, while the lowest part is minimal and adorned with the icons of Vrefokratoussa (Infant Holder), Pantocrator (Almighty) and the Assumption of Mary. In front of the entrance there is a rain water reservoir (sarnitsi). The Archontariki (the guest house), the cells and the olive-oil press, all of which date back to the 19th century, are built around the church. On the third level, there are three more cells with two columns in the yard.
Architecture: single-nave barrel vaulted
Dating: phase a: late 16th century AD
phase b: early 17th century AD
phase c: late 17th century AD
phase d: 19th century AD
Location: Voritsi – between Voritsi and Skoteino villages
Celebration: 1st Friday after Easter
Visit Options: Open
Τake a tour of the area
No street view available at Google maps.