The church of Agios Vasileios was built in 1840, having nested the single-nave chapel of the 14th century in the sanctuary. The chapel was fully painted. The triumphal arch depicts the “Holy Shroud” and the “Annunciation”. On the east side of the arch, inside the sanctuary, there is the “Ascension of Jesus” along with 4 Angels and 6 Apostles. The west side of the arch is divided into two zones, the north one and the south one. On the north side, what is still saved is the “Myrrh-bearing Women at the tomb of Christ” and the “Crucifixion”. The rest of the murals on the north side have been destroyed, just like on the south side. The woodcut iconostasis dates back to 1850. The lower part is decorated with icons from the Old Testament, while the upper part with icons of the “Vrefokratoussa” (Infant Bearer), “Jesus Enthroned” and “Agios Vasileios”.
Some of them date back to 1851 and some others to 1912. The renovation that took place in 2002 revealed some tombs under the floor of the newer chapel, therefore we assume that the chapel was a cemeterial one. On every aedicule of the second chapel there is the date 1840 inscribed, while on the upper part of the bell tower there is the date 1813. This architectural element may be of a later use or may have been miscarved. Of course, there is also the possibility that this part of the bell tower belonged to a children’s tomb that was destroyed and it was later adjusted to its present place.
Architecture: single-nave chapel with a western extension
Dating: 14th century the first single-nave chapel, the extension dates back to the 19th century
Location: Koutouloufari (in the village)
Celebration: 1st January
Access : Easy access
Visit Options: Closed. Visitors should contact the priest Michael Agapakis, tel. number 6977984072
- Travel activities RELIGION
- Location Chersonissos Region / Koutouloufari
- Listing categories RELIGION