Kenourgio Chorio is located 18km east of Heraklion and is a traditional settlement. Kenourgio Chorio (new village in Greek), unlike its name, is a very old settlement – probably of the 2nd Byzantine period (961-1204) – and its history, the architecture of its houses, its folklore and the wine it produces, are of a major importance.
During the last years of Venetian rule in Crete, there was a suzerainty of the Venetian family Foscolo. At this place, it survives the fortress-residence of Andrea Foscolo (of the Marcantoni – Foscolo family) until now. Part of this residence was probably demolished due to an earthquake in 1926, according to locals.
Its construction was completed before 1600 AD and although it has partially collapsed, the ground floor is almost intact in which the impressive arches and domes are visible. Moreover, the reconstruction happened during the Ottoman domination is visible.